I created this card as an entry for the December Hero Arts Challenge. Follow the Hero Arts Challenge link for more information and while you’re there, visit the Hero Arts Flickr Group and view all the entries for the challenge. You won’t be disappointed!
For my “Giving Thanks” themed card I’m using the kraft, cranberry, pine and snow color combo from the challenge. I added heat embossing to the copper cardstock to give the card a little “shine”.
Supplies for my “Thanks” card:
Kraft Card – 7” X 10” (Folded to 5” X 7”)
Brown Cardstock – 4 ¾” X 6 ¾”
Green Cardstock – 4 ½” X 6 ½”
White Design Panel – 4 1/4” X 6 1/4”
Cranberry Velvet Paper – Ornamental Die Cut
Green Cardstock – Ornamental Die Cut Mat
White Tissue Paper – 3 5/8” Scallop Oval
Black Cardstock – 3” Oval
Copper Cardstock – 2 3/8” Oval
Black Cardstock – ¾” Circles (6)
Copper Cardstock – Scrap for Six 5/8” Circles
Hero Arts CL483 My Type 2011 Stamp Set
Black Pigment Ink
Black Embossing Powder
5/8” Hole Punch
¾” Hole Punch
Tim Holtz Ornamental Die
Nestabilities Scallop Oval Die
Nestabilities Oval Dies
Swiss Dots Embossing Folder
Nailhead Metal Stickers
1. Card Front - Attach cardstock layers to card: Green to brown and brown to kraft card. (Photo 1)
2. Ornamental Image - Cut the Ornamental image from the cranberry velvet paper and attach to a scrap of green cardstock. Cut out around the image, leaving a small border of green around the cranberry for a mat. Fold the top edge of the Ornamental unit to the back about 3/8”. (Photo 2) Slide the white design panel inside the fold as shown and glue in place. (Photo 3) Attach the completed unit to the green layer of the card. (Photo 4)
3. Embossing the Typewriter Keys – Cover every other letter (T-A-K) with masking tape. (Photo 5) Ink the stamp with black pigment ink. (Photo 6) Remove the tape from the stamp. (Photo 7) Stamp the image onto the copper cardstock. Repeat this process covering letters (H-N-S) as shown in Photo 8. Once all images have been stamped, cover them with embossing powder, tap off excess and heat to emboss. (Photo 9)
4. Finishing the Keys - Punch out the embossed images with the 5/8” circle punch. (Photo 10) Punch six black ¾” circles and attach the embossed images to the black circles. See the example "S" as shown in Photo 11.
5. Typewriter Section - Cut out a 2 3/8” oval from copper cardstock. Stamp the typewriter image onto the oval with black pigment ink. Sprinkle with black embossing powder, tap off excess powder and heat to emboss. Cut a 3 5/8” scallop oval from the tissue paper and emboss with the Swiss Dots embossing folder. Next, cut a 3” black oval and attach it to the scallop oval. Attach the embossed copper oval to the black oval. (Photo 12) Center and attach the layered oval section to the cranberry Ornamental image on the front of the card.
6. Finishing Up - Arrange the typewriter keys to form the word, “Thanks” along the bottom of the white panel. Make a small bow from black ribbon and attach to the lower edge of the Ornamental cut image. Add the Nailhead stickers along the lower right side of the black oval.
I hope you are enjoying my blog and will visit again soon. Have a safe and Happy New Year – Jane, the Polka Dot Gypsy